Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Netscaler VPX - Support more NICs (VMware)

When I needed to add a 5th NIC to my NS10.0 Build 72.5.nc, I received error stating that 4 NICs was the maximum.  According to Citrix documentation my VPX should be able to support 10 NICs so what gives.

It turns out that the limitation was the OVF I downloaded from Citrix which creates the VPX and sets it to VM HW version 4 which I assume for compatibility reasons.



I took my veeamzip backup, in addition to a snapshot then proceeded to update the HW version from 4 to 9.  Also note that the Guest OS changed itself from Oracle Solaris to FreeBSD.



Once this completed, I was able to add my 5th NIC with no issues.  So here's a proof of concept in case anyone else was wondering the same, also remember to take a backup or at least a snapshot.  Here's a link to VM's KB that verifies that HW versions are reversible from version 8 or 9 back to 4 by simply taking a VM snapshot.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1010675

No comments:

Post a Comment