Saturday, February 9, 2013

Chromebook - "Please use the Citrix Receiver for Chromebook application to open this URL"

Since the Chrome OS receiver for Citrix does not support access to environments using CSG + Web Interface, most IT departments will need to replace or build in parallel a second front end infrastructure comprised of Netscaler, AGEE (Access Gateway Enterprise), and Storefront (Cloud Gateway Express.)

This post will not cover the licensing or technical aspects of the front end build out process of said infrastructure but rather an odd issue I encountered when testing the receiver functionality on Chromebook.

At first, I would launch the receiver application where I would enter the secured URL for my AGEE.  Hit the connect button where it would open the AGEE welcome screen where I would provide my user credentials.  Launching desktops and apps would work as expected then I would gracefully log out of my receiver session.

Upon the next launch of receiver, I started to get this error.  Strangely, when I closed and opened it again the receiver would launch just fine.  I figured at this point most end users would likely pickup the phone and call for help so to avoid wasting anyone's time, this has got to get fixed.



Initial searches showed CTX131906 as the fix.  http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX131906

"This happens even when users have already started the Receiver for Chromebok" Per Citrix KB.

My first thought was to find a way to end or task kill receiver in the Chrome OS but did not find a running task for it via task manager.

So off I went to apply the fix per Citrix KB.

1)  Download the zip file containing the new index.html
2)  Extract and upload to /var/nsinstall on my AGEE
3)  Create /flash/nsconfig/nsafter.sh which renames the original index.html to _old and and creates a sym link in it's place that references the path to where Citrix had us copy the new index.html

Everything looks in order here, time to reboot.



Now I get this error and can no longer connect at all.

403 Forbidden You don't have permission to access /vpx/index.html on this server.


After some head scratching it turns out that the new index.html file that was uploaded to /var/nsinstall somehow got deleted after the reboot.  I re-uploaded it to the path again, rebooted again, then once more and all is well.  My Chromebook is able to connect and when I log off/on again I don't get any error message telling me to use the receiver client when I'm already am.


No comments:

Post a Comment